Tuesday, March 3, 2009

February wasn't as good as I wanted it to be!!!

Come February, love is in the air. The month which has the Valentine's day - which of late has been one amongst the most celebrated day. I neither support, nor oppose the celebration. I'm fairly neutral when it comes to it. Like I mentioned in my last post, a lot of things kept me occupied. This is just gonna be a look back through those "not so colourful" February days.

The first week, I was down with a minor fracture due to falling down in a game of basketball. It wasn't very serious. I was not supposed to strain my left hand, I did as I was asked to and I was alright soon. It also coincided with the Indefinite closing of all colleges because the government thought leaving the students as they are can create a law and order problem. So I did not have to bunk college. The same week, I was also supposed to go on a Pilgrimage to Sabarimala - a famous temple atop a mountain in Kerala. Though I'm agnostic, I respect people's sentiments and especially my mother's, so ended up going there. The next week, we really started sincerely working on our project. The whole of that week went in researching and working. That also happened to be the Valentine's week (its no longer valentine's day alone, its celebrated for a week) and as expected there wasn't much to it in my life. I did not propose to anyone, nor did I get proposed to. Spent a quiet Valentine's day at home. The week after that, I had to settle a serious issue between two of my close friends. The whole of that week took a toll on my mental well being. I was becoming someone that I was not. I was becoming increasingly irritable and the reason was a combination of lot of things. The tussle between my friends, my inability to concentrate on my project because of genuine lack of interest, my inability to sit down and prepare for GRE because of my laziness and above all my inability to get rid of my lack of interest and laziness. I thought it was time I took a break from all this and spend some time hanging out with friends.

Thats when came a plan made by my friends, we all decided to go to cochin on the 23rd of feb, stay there for two days and spend the last day in Veega land - an amusement park in cochin. We were having a great time, Rahman's oscar victory made us celebrate all the more - even though we had no part to play in his victory, we all belonged to the generation of people who grew up listening to Rahman, so we felt proud and happy. I personally don't see it as India's victory, its only Rahman's victory, and he won it for a work of hollywood which according to me wasn't Rahman's best. His music in more than a dozen Indian films have been far superior to that of Slumdog Millionaire. It just happened to be Rahman's first Hollywood score and they recognised it. Coming back to my life from Rahman's, we were half way through the first day when a call from my mom came with a shocking news attached - my dad was hospitalized. He had severe stomach ache, doctors suspect something wrong with the pancreas. Scan reports showed nothing like stones so my thoughts raced. I feared the worst. I thought it was gonna be pancreatic cancer. Mom asked me to leave immediately. My friends there were of great help. They decided dat I leave at once and that they'll carry my luggage. It was a very good plan, because wasting time going back to the room and packing up wasn't my idea too. My friends gave me a few encouraging words too. That meant a lot to me. Its in times such as these that one really knows the value of having true friends. And the ones I had were the best I could ever get. Thanks to all of them. I left immediately to the Bus stand and took the first bus to Coimbatore and so started the 6 longest hours of my life. Even with a very pretty girl by my side in the bus (that was not deliberate :D, that was the only seat available in the bus), I was not happy. I wanted to know what was wrong with dad. I called up mom, she said it isn't very serious. But I still feared the worst because it's my mother's character to make sure that I don't worry too much about it. I did not know what to do. I wanted to talk to someone. I din't wanna spoil the party mood of my friends back in Cochin. A very recent friend of mine came to my rescue, I'm very indebted to her for what she did that day. Then I reached coimbatore and found out that the condition that my dad is having was called acute pancreatitis. It was some form of an infection of the pancreas. Strictly no food orally for 3 days, all the nutrition he got was through intra-venous fluids. After that, doc said my dad has to follow a strict diet regimen and he was discharged on the 27th februray(friday) after 5 long, gruelling days at the hospital. I was with him most of the days and bunked college on all 5 days. After a really long time, I visited college yesterday, now things seem fine. I feel fine. But February really was HORRIBLE, HORRENDOUS, HORRIFIC - they all mean the same anyway :D

P.S: Blogger's editor tells me that my spelling of colourful is wrong, but I prefer to stick to that spelling rather than the American version.

No comments: